Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Premiere Screening of The Book Thief

Hey pillow talkers! 

Today's post is about The Book Thief based on the novel by Markus Zusak. Thanks Nuffnang for the premiere screening tickets!




RM38.90 at Popular






For starters, I shall rate the movie ★★★★★★★☆☆☆ (7/10)!

If you were to ask me is the movie any good or any special I would say: it's good if you enjoy the art of a historical movie. Or if you're as shallow as me.. Erm read on and decide alright? 


Honestly doubt I could spoiler the movie because the movie is basically filled with many mini climaxes that play with your emotions throughout. There is no major climax scene so it pretty much leaves you with a blank feeling. Like oh, that's it? As if the whole movie was floating around everywhere. 

However, The Book Thief does suck you into the movie. It puts you in the shoes of Liesel Meminger, the 'book thief' as described by 'The Narrator'. We are taken through the different stages of her difficult life, sort of like memoirs of Liesel. To quote the movie: if your eyes could speak, what would they say?


Liesel reading a book on the porch


The Book Thief overall revolves around the theme of desperation.

Desperation for knowledge. Liesel starts off as an illiterate girl. She cannot even spell her own name! As she attends school, she learns how to read and write a an amazing pace. When she was denied access to the Burgermeister's (read: Mayor's) library, she sneaks inside to "borrow" more books. This earned her the title: Book Thief. Liesel's desperate acts made me feel like I have taken knowledge for granted since I am able to freely walk into MPH or Popular and buy a book. Even with such convenience at my disposal, I actually rarely buy and read books, unless it is for study purposes. Even without access to a brick and mortar bookstore, there is always Wikipedia, and the Internet! Liesel taught me to appreciate my easy access to knowledge. I can hear her imaginary voice in my head saying, "Put down Facebook and pick up a real book!"

Desperation for freedom. The backdrop of the movie is during World War 2, where Adolf Hitler was leading Germany on a full scale war against the world. Jews, Communists or anyone that shows the slightest sign of mutiny are "taken away"; implying that they are killed. Everyone was in so much fear and desperate for the war to end. In one powerful scene, Max (a Jewish refugee), stood under the sky to look at the stars during an air raid. It may sound silly now, but when you watch the movie, I am sure that you will be glad too that he got a chance to see the stars.

Desperation for the movie to end. Okay this isn't portrayed in the movie, but still! The movie had a runtime of 131 minutes, with not much action scenes. The story is mostly developed through the interaction between the characters, so you can expect A LOT OF TALKING. I actually heard a loud 'FINALLY' from the back when the movie came to the end. I'm not saying that the movie was bad, but it was quite difficult to sit through and watching once is enough.



Courage was also channelled by the author to the readers/spectators through Liesel. She is super super unfortunate. Perhaps even worse than Bad Luck Brian. Honestly, if I were Liesel, I probably won't survive. And she has time to read some more! If she's not courageous, NO ONE IS. Such an unbelievably tough girl riding on knowledge to get through the barriers of life. I wish I'm like her but minus the unluckiness part.

I do like the little sarcastic moments, mostly involving Liesel's parents Hans and Rosa.




They have this interesting harmonious way of living with each other that is so romantic. No matter how they tease each other, there's always love in their eyes. Hans is such as affectionate father. Rosa was at first seemingly distant, but it was because of the difficult times that she has to keep her emotions in check. 

The movie effects were a bit unrealistic. Since the movie is PG13, there aren't any limbs flying around. There were only a few scenes that showed the ongoing war, like the book burning and army ransacking shops scenes. Another scene had planes dropping bombs on the streets below, and we were even shown a building being blown up completely. However, by some miracle, the dead had all their limbs intact!

I do have to give credits to they way they made Liesel grow up throughout the course of the movie. Hollywood magic for sure! I was expecting a change in actress but no! It was played by Sophie Nélisse throughout the movie. Simply amazing.

Also, I can't help but notice the resemblance of The Book Thief to Disney's Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland.




They have the same siren and same plot where they hide in the basement to avoid air raids. Even the scene where a truck took one of their family member to war was identical. Perhaps it's because both the movies was based on World War 2; just that one is in England while the other is in Germany. 

Well that's all my thoughts on the movie. It's not a bad movie. It's just I lack the artistic gene to enjoy it. If you like war movies minus guns and bullets plus a touching story of courage, this is definitely the movie for you!

Almost 2am now! Not sure what I'm writing anymore!

Good night and toodles~

P.S. The Narrator is actually Death! Not God! I thought it was God the whole time! Oops.

P.P.S. Today is a double post day! Here's the link to the other post! Falling sick during CNY!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...