Tuesday, December 3, 2013

What's heavy, consistent and red?

Hello again pillow fluffers! Today's pillow talk will be about something a bit heavy so please bear with me! You will probably experience this at least once in your lifetime though.

Anyways! Before revealing today's pillow talk, I want to say that I'm actually quite proud with myself for consistently updating twice a week. Apparently it's very important for a fresh blogger to be consistent in updating their blog to attract readers. So everyone, thank you for your support! Else my inner laziness would have come up with some really good excuses to slack off. I will try my best to keep up this pace, I promise!

Back to today's topic. In about two weeks time I will be traveling to Hong Kong (yippee!). I have already started packing for my long stay because there seems to be a million and one things to do, one after another. So I've been checking the HKD exchange rate for about 2 months now? My "checking" is actually just walking by a money changer, look at the rate and make a little mental note that I should start saving up.

About a week ago, I started telling myself to go exchange some MYR for HKD. But when I finally did, the rate suddenly surged. HKD appreciated from MYR 41.50 to MYR 42.20 for HKD 100! Trust me when I say my inner self is screaming with rage for not exchanging the currency earlier. It's worse when I was already telling myself that HKD would probably appreciate soon. How did I know? Well I'm actually pursuing a degree in finance and economics but it's mostly just a wild guess. 

But! Life is full of surprises. Halfway buying dinner, I saw a shady money changer. Alright it probably wasn't shady but it was not in a mall and it's between a car service shop and hardware shop. I thought to myself, "If this shop is also selling at 42 then screw it. I would suck it up and buy HKD at that price."

To my surprise, the shop was actually selling MYR 41.80 for HKD 100! My brain stopped functioning for a while when I saw 41. Yes. 1. Not 2! Of course I did not hesitate this time and made my transaction there. Can you imagine my joy? It's as if I stumbled upon a gold mine and I'm now a millionaire! But my happiness was short lived. Once I calmed down and calculated how much I actually saved, it was only a measly MYR 4. So much for being a millionaire.

But food for thought, have you travelled between different places to gain some insignificant profit? Is it really worth it? Or have we actually lost more in our search for the best rate? While its true that I I only ended up saving MYR 4, I still got some personal satisfaction out of it (Like two minutes worth?). I think I still gained overall cause I checked those rates while running errands so it was kind of on the way! Now though, I need to think whether I should exchange more HKD or not. If I exchange too much, then I would lose out and be in the red when I trade back.

Till next time toodles~

PS: Yes I know the title was misleading! It's kinda lame too. But my editor thought it was quite funny!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...